What would you do for something you want?

You ever been so driven to achieve a goal you'd move heaven and earth to attain it?

When I was in broadcasting school, I was so focused on completing it I put sleep aside.

Didn't hurt that I was 19 at the time. As you know, 19 year olds don't need much sleep.

When I got up at 3:30 in the morning to get ready to head into Boston, I'd put a couple of changes of underwear and t-shirts in my backpack. I was never sure I'd make it home that night.

I lived about an hour north and took the train into the city. Then a 20 minute subway ride and a 15 minute walk to school.

Class started at 7:30 and didn't get out until about 4:30. From there I'd head back to the train station, but I wouldn't go home.

I worked at the station's commercial plaza at a "Strawberry's Records and Tapes." It was a record store chain in the northeast.

I worked from 5-11. The last train home was at 11. When the manager wasn't there, my coworkers would let me slip out 15 minutes early to get to my train. But when he was there.... that wasn't happening.

When I missed the train, I'd find a comfortable bench and sleep alongside those who didn't have a home to go home to. I learned a lot from them, but that's a story that deserves its own post and not as an aside in this one.

In the mornings, I'd get back on the subway and get to school early enough to wash up and change clothes before anyone saw me. Then I'd do it all over again. Most days I got home that second day. Most.

I wasn't dissuaded. Nothing would stop me from reaching my goal.

In 1990 I earned my Broadcasting certificate, ready to start a life in the biz. Our commencement speaker was legendary Boston Celtics announcer Johnny Most.

His message? "You're done with school. Now stop fiddlin', diddlin', daddlin' and doodlin' around, and go live your dreams."

While the path I took was unorthodox (working as a military broadcaster and public affairs professional for 30 years), I am still living my dream.

This year, I'll have been on the air four years since my military retirement; now working full-time at a streaming radio station.

What goal have you ever had you'd sacrifice anything to achieve? 

Follow me on:
LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/josevelazquezjr/
On the radio at: Eagle Online Radio
On Youtube: https://youtube.com/@jvthedj
On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jv_the_dj/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hereafter

Sorry About That, Mom

Season of Learning