Apple or Android?

 Apple or Android?



Bottom Line up front: For my personal and professional needs, I choose Apple.

Reasons why:
- I don't game
- I understand the tech
- I love the closed ecosystem
- I just need things to work without a huge learning curve

When I buy a new iPhone, it just transfers my old data over from iCloud. Everything. No need to make changes. It just works.

I buy a new MacBook or iMac computer. I sign in with my Apple account. A few minutes later, it is set up and ready to go. I have nothing to do. It just works.

Same with my iPad, my Apple Watch, my Apple TV, and my Airpods. You just turn them on and they work with every other Apple system seamlessly. No need to download other apps to synchronize. It's like magic.

BUT, I can see the other side of this issue. I went with my son to buy an iPhone. Historically, he's been an Android guy, but a couple of years ago he got a hand-me-down iPhone for free from a friend who was upgrading and well, free is free. So he took it.

He decided to go back to Samsung instead. I asked why and he said "when you're not in the ecosystem dad, the iPhone is 'just ok.'" He doesn't have a Mac, Airpods, or most other Apple products. And for the first time I understood. Without the ecosystem, any individual Apple product is "just ok."

My son games heavily, works on school projects with the typical suite of business and school software, edits with the most popular video and audio editing software, and likes customization (gasp). So for him, variety is the spice of life.

He has Sony headphones, an HP gaming computer (he built to his specs and still cost him a fraction of what my Mac costs), a Lenovo laptop, an iPad, and a Roku to stream movies. His new Samsung phone is arguably the best smartphone ever created, and he customized it to look like the controls of a spaceship or something. He doesn't shy away from Apple products. He likes certain things like his iPad. But he isn't tied to it. If another tablet fits his needs, he'll buy it.

I'm a creature of habit. If something works, why change it? And while Android's open ecosystem may have surpassed Apple, it's closed ecosystem lags behind. Android, Windows, Chrome aren't inherently as safe as Apple.

Because it has to fit so many phones and computers' dimensions and operating systems, the Google Play store is an afterthought for app developers, thus many apps work exclusively with Apple.

Are you team blue bubble or team green bubble?

Follow me on:
LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/josevelazquezjr/
On the radio at: Eagle Online Radio
On Youtube: https://youtube.com/@jvthedj
On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jv_the_dj/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hereafter

Sorry About That, Mom

Season of Learning