Fall Back into Success

Today we celebrate the first full day of Fall 2013. Of course in celebrating this first day of a new season, we must bid farewell to our Summer and with it I hope some wonderful memories and times.
Fall is a special season for me. It like Spring, is a transitional season but to me the Fall signifies change, and warm memories of some of the best times of my life.
For too many of us, the fall is unfortunately a time where we put goals on the back burner. We use the old excuses of all the holidays back to back, and everything we "have" to do to prepare for them, and all of a sudden, any semblance of success with goals we may have been succeeding at all summer disappear. You probably know someone who has said "I'll have to wait till the beginning of the year" when you ask how their goals are going. They'll use all the excuses in the book. Let me know if you've heard any of these quotes: It's getting colder and my joints, oh my joints. It's football season and I really don't have time during football season. Little Jimmy has so many activities at school I just can't. With Halloween coming up and then right after Thanksgiving and Christmas, I am just swamped. My goals will just have to wait.
I could go on and on but the truth is some of you reading this have used those excuses yourselves. Heck, I know I've used a few of these in my day. Of course the truth is you do have time to continue working towards your goals. You've got the same exact 24 hours everyone else does. I'm not trivializing how busy your life is, I'm just saying no one has anymore time than you do and yet many people continue to march towards their goals because they "make" time for themselves.
I don't know what your goals are. Maybe your goal is to lose weight or to permanently stop smoking or drinking. Maybe your goal is to finish a degree or start a business. Whatever your goal is, pushing it off till the first of next year isn't the right answer and you know it. You know it in your heart of hearts.
I don't know a lot of things about a lot of things. What I do know is time marches on independently of you and your choices. Barring the apocalypse, January 1st, 2014 will be here in exactly 101 days. Whether you do nothing towards your goals or are in the midst of achieving them, 2014 will still be here in 101 days. If you do nothing between now and then, all the excuses in the world are not going to console you on that day. You will know you "could have" but chose not to.
So this year, do something different. Dedicate yourself to going into the fall full-force and continuing to work towards achieving those things you have set out to achieve. I can tell you the rear view mirror of life will definitely look far brighter on January 1st if you decide on this course of action.
Finally, for those who do choose to continue to work towards goals, in my opinion the difference between success and failure during this season is balance. There will be days when you focus solely on family and friends and the holiday. There will be moments when you stray a little off the healthy foods or choose to stay home from the gym. If you plan ahead and make those days part of your schedule, you will find navigating the holidays isn't as tough as you imagined. The important part of course is getting up the next day and getting back on track.
Friends, we are really, really good at excuses. It is inherent in practically all of us but it can be overcome with dedication and drive. I believe if you choose it, this can be a breakout year for you and this season an incredible one full of goals achieved.
As always, I believe in you. You just have to believe in yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have PBD

The Social Network

Its Almost Here