The Hereafter

The last 30 days have been a little difficult for my circle of friends. As life goes on unpredictable as always, my circle of friends have seemingly lost more friends, coworkers, and family members than I remember in recent memory and it has me thinking.
A friend of mine posted a recent article by renowned physicist Stephen Hawking balking at the idea of a hereafter as a fairy tale for those afraid of the dark. Please know this blog is not about telling you what to believe.
As I read the comments folks left about the article, it dawned on me that regardless of what each of us thinks, one thing is certain; every one of is going to find out the answer to the question of whether a hereafter exists or not.; every single one of us. If nothing exists, well then we won't have a whole lot of pondering to do on the idea since we won't be in a hereafter to ponder or do anything else. But if it does, there might be some "explaining" to do.
I don't know what will happen when I die. I know a lot of people will tell you one way or the other but none of us truly knows. Not even Stephen Hawking as smart as he is. Cause till it happens to him, even he doesn't know.
As for me, I choose to believe in a higher power because it goes beyond what it will do for me someday; it does something for me while I am here. I'm inspired to try to be a good person because it makes me happy. I don't always succeed. Actually I have screwed it up more times than I care to remember, but ultimately, I try. I make efforts to help people and I think following a path outlined for me in the one book I consider sacred, but which is seemingly a common theme in all the world's great sacred books regardless of your religious teachings, makes it all just more special.
Now you don't have to be inspired by a book to try to live a good life. You don't have to believe in a higher power or an afterlife to be a great humanitarian. Many people who don't believe are just as good as any Christian, Jew, Muslim, or Buddhist towards their fellow man and that is a beautiful thing. We really CAN co-exist in a world of varying beliefs. For me and I can only speak for myself, I guess the belief in the higher power just ties it all together and gives me my purpose.
And so my friends, my belief in a higher power and a hereafter have value to me in this life because they add to my human experience. Having said that, in all honest I have no idea if my beliefs will come true. But given the two extremes, one in which I simply cease to exist, gone as if none of it mattered; my life, my family, my friends, the life I lived, or the other in which I've got a shot at something as beautiful as what they say, well if it doesn't bother anyone else, I think I'll just believe in the beautiful choice.
If you prefer the other one, that's cool; I'll respect your view and let you have it. You might be right, and if you are, it won't matter anyway cause you won't be around to say "I told you so" here or there.

Comments

  1. Maybe heaven is the memories we leave behind in the lives of those we've touched and improved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm far, far from a perfect person, and that's why I do believe in Christ and a hereafter. Regardless of what a person believes, we are all humans trying to get through this life. It weighs on me that we can't just get along with each other and try to make each other's lives a little better each day by just being kind, saying Hi and trying to help one another. I see posts on FB and other places where people are downright mean. That really saddens me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful entry to your blog. I am so glad you wrote this. I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on anyone, but I have a right to believe what I do and no one has the right to ridicule me for it! Keep up the great writing. I really appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Have PBD

Facebook Dump- The Day After