My Independence

Independence Day weekend is here and while I know the overall holiday holds a similar meaning to all of us, I am of the belief Independence holds a unique meaning to each of us.
For some, it was that first slumber party as a child. For some, the first day of college. Yet for others it is a day which holds a collective feeling. Ultimately though, Independence means one thing, freedom.
Over my career I have been fortunate enough to participate in a number of historical military events. Alone they were nothing but grown men and women in uniform fighting for grown men and women in business suits. All by itself it sounds pretty silly and ridiculous. Yet, as you step further back and look at the context of the bitter wars which have occured during my time in uniform; wars such as the first Gulf War, Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo, and the more recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the fundamental truths and ideology which I believe in to the death were reason enough for me to feel I was doing the right thing for my country.
It is absolutely fair for Americans to believe whatever they choose to believe about the conflicts I have been a part of. Some will agree with the reasons I was sent to war and others won't. I respect their opinions and revel in their "freedom" to do so.
I feel so appreciative of naysayers and critics because in many ways they embody the full measure of the reasons I do what I do for a living. It is human nature and the ability of a free human being to question why things are the way they are and question decisions made on their behalf by their representatives.
I also feel appreciative because unlike my Vietnam era brothers and sisters, I have always been welcomed home with open arms. I don't know the pain they went through being spit on, chided, ridiculed, and called every name in the book as they came home to a country that was embarrassed of them. I hurt for them and sometimes feel a little guilty when someone thanks me for my service. I love Vietnam vets and I share any and every decent thing a citizen has said to me with them.
Finally and probably most importantly, I feel appreciative (yet sometimes just a little perturbed) we live in a country where our citizens have no idea how lucky they are to have the freedom to think, say, worship, do and be whatever they choose to be. So saturated with freedom it is the norm.
I unfortunately know first-hand what places are like which don't have those freedoms. They tend to be places where regimes of men (and I say men cause its usually men doing the stupid stuff) brainwash generation of people to follow them without question. To die in their sted because they themselves are too cowardly to die for their causes. To lead with fear, intimidation and violence. Places where the mere verbalizing of disagreement with the government can literally lead a person to death.
I grew up in the ghetto. I grew up in some of the toughest streets in America. Yet it was America. My wife on the other hand grew up in a small central-American country named Panama. Compared to her, I had it EASY.
In 1989, U.S. servicemembers invaded that country to bring the tirant who held power there to justice. My wife regularly recalls the feelings of her poor neighborhood as American Soldiers walked their streets. The relief and freedom she felt for the first time in her life as she saw an American trooper wave with a warm smile. She also regularly shares stories of torment under her country's dictator. Stories of bands of Panamian soldiers walking through her neighborhood looking for women and young girls to rape. How her mother would slide her under the bed as a child and tell her not to come out or make a noise no matter what she heard in case her mother was raped and her father was beaten and so she wouldn't become a victim herself.
I also remember the day she became an American citizen. I remember how proud she was. I recall how she couldn't understand how we who were born here couldn't appreciate the greatness of this country.
Friends there is a lot of talk about China becoming the world's dominant superpower this century. There is much talk about how India will take China's spot as the most populous country in the world in the next 25 years. Talk about how the European Union and their Euro will replace the American dollar as the world's economic currency. Yet I submit to you that America isn't just great because of the money. Our economy has truly paved the way for much of the world's success today. Having said that, our greatness doesn't come from our economy. Our economy is a product of our greatness. I submit to you our greatness started the day a small formal group of men who had everything to lose 235 years ago ushered in the first 24 hours of a nation built on freedom.
Freedom was so great it really wasn't even visible to them completely, but they knew in their hearts a country like ours could only distinguish itself if it were by the people, for the people. Since our Declaration of Indepence and our Constitution were written, many freedoms have been granted to groups who always deserved them. Many wrongs have been righted. And we have much yet to do to become the "perfect union" our forefathers hoped we would become. Yet they gave us the framework to "become" it. No other nation on earth has our living-Constitution and our way of life.
Today we struggle with a weak economy, a tough global situation, a whole lot of people who would love to see us fail. Yet we will not, we cannot because we are THE example of freedom to the entire world.
My friends, 21 years ago, as I was sitting in a barber's chair losing my jeri-curl I personally lost some of the freedoms you have. If I don't show up to work, I can be put in jail. If I don't treat my coworkers with dignity and respect, I can be thrown out and/or put in jail. I adhere to a high moral code. Yet it is a code I choose to hold. What "freedoms" are suppressed to me I willingly put aside to ensure my 2nd grade teacher, my high school buddies, my college yahoos, the man or woman I meet on a plane from here to wherever have them.
Would I love for so many people not to be so negative? Absolutely. Would I love people to be more supportive? Sure. Would I change any of it? HELL NO! This is my country and this is the freedom I and every military member lives and dies for. My Independence comes from ensuring every American, the ones I love and the ones I don't, live in freedom. That alone is my definition of Indepence. I don't want pats on the back nor do my brothers and sisters in arms. We want our civilian brothers and sisters to embrace their freedoms and make the very most out of them as we embrace the task of ensuring freedom always rings.
Happy Independence Day 2011. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have PBD

The Hereafter

Facebook Dump- The Day After