Oh God, If You'll Only Let The Patriots Win...

I found myself asking God to let the Patriots win today. Yes, I am a Patriots fan. Don't hate! I grew up in New England.
Anyway, as I pondered what "collateral" I might barter with God to allow my team to win such as oh I don't know, I swear I'll never do this again or that again or I'll go to church more often, it hit me just how stupid what I was doing was.
Needless to say those of you who don't believe in a higher power will think this whole post stupid regardless. For those of you though who are of the "believing" persuasion and who have woken up after a hard night of partying, barfing your innards out and begging God to get you through this one and you'll never drink again, you'll understand.
Sometimes we are so silly with the things we ask the man upstairs for. Even my friends who don't believe would make the point that if this God is so powerful, why would he care about a football game? Very very true.
I guess many of us have that childish belief that he listens to us personally. Having said that, I guess I have to hope he isn't listening to any of us when it comes to requests for a win in the game. I don't know how many Giants fans there are but I wouldn't want to be on the losing side of a vote if God were going to go with the higher number of fans.
In the end, the saying is "God helps those who help themselves." Thus, whoever wins on Sunday will be deserving of the win no matter what. If my team wins, I will obviously be ecstatic. If they lose, I'll tip my hat to the other team and go on loving my team regardless.
But just in case you'll be taking roll-call of how many fans from each team are at church on Sunday God, I'll be in slacks and a sweater, sitting in the front row. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have PBD

The Hereafter

Facebook Dump- The Day After