Spring Is In The Air. Let's Go!

I'm not the most exciting guy. Actually at Casa di Jose, weekends are just sort of rest-and-recharge days for the most part.
I've got friends who are so incredibly adventurous. They'll back their camper trailers onto their trucks, jump in and go. Others will buy a last minute plane ticket to the islands and just disappear. While others head to the mountains to hike and climb. Me, the furthest I tend to go is the gym to get my swole on and maybe hit the store if we're out of something.
So why am I so different than many of my friends? Well I guess I have to admit, I'm probably not as unique as I'd like to believe. I suspect many of us follow the "Casa di Jose" weekend model. As I've searched for all the reasons I'm wired the way I'm wired, I think back to growing up and wonder if some of the things which happened then, don't continue to affect me subconsciously.
Growing up in what many people outside that world would call "the hood", everyone who did work, busted their butt. Mostly in dead-end thankless jobs at the bottom of the system. My friends, family members, and neighbors worked in factories and mills, stores and warehouses, shops and fields. They didn't have much money and were physically exhausted by the weekend, so understandably, weekends were for catching up on much-needed sleep, rest, and if anything, running a few errands which couldn't be done throughout the week. They sure weren't for "adventuring." That wasn't really even a thought in the mind of most people around me. Even vacations were really just that one time a year when our parents would take us back to the home island (or country) and spend a week with family. Adventures to locations far and wide were simply not a consideration.
Many of my friends today did not grow up in the environment I did(thankfully) and I suspect if their families weren't as financially hard-up as mine was, maybe there was more time to see things and do things and experience life in general. Lord knows I'm not proposing anyone's life was harder as tough is relative and many of my friends had challenges growing up which were much harder than mine. My point is, maybe that is why they are more adventurous today.
I recognize these are general stereotypes as some of my most adventurous friends grew up in very similar circumstances as I did. So, as not to use my past as an excuse, I'm packing the family up, picking a direction, and heading out this weekend. Well, after I hit the gym to get my swole on. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have PBD

The Hereafter

Facebook Dump- The Day After