Arlington

Hey brother, been thinking about you this weekend. Yeah yeah, whatever man. I know I'm Mr. Sentimental. But you know it is Memorial Day.
The last few days I've seen some photos and posts that would make you laugh a little. I always loved how you never took yourself too seriously. Hell, we both acted more like high school sophomores than grown adults. But you had a wisdom in your youth. I remember you watching some irate politician on TV talking about how this was a "somber" weekend and how we should all just sit around and think of our dead and you told me "If I die Jose, you better enjoy every damn day you have off for the both of us. None of this crying and feeling sad shit." I remember you thought it was ridiculous that our American citizens should not enjoy the blanket of freedom paid for by our war dead. To be honest, I don't think you cared if any of them knew who you were. You weren't in this to be "honored." You were in this to honor our Americans whether they knew you, cared about you, thought about you or not. I think those who get upset with the citizens for not remembering have great hearts and mean well. It just bothers them that most Americans probably see this weekend as National Barbecue Weekend versus what it is, but I also know guys like you are actually honored that people are enjoying this weekend whether they remember you or not.
Speaking of who you cared about, Holly and Ariel are doing well. I talk to them all the time still. Awhile back I finally convinced Holly it was time to move on and that I knew you would want her to keep on living. She's doing good. She met a nice guy and he seems to be treating her well. As far as Ariel, man you wouldn't believe the woman she is becoming. She is beautiful, intelligent, funny, and she's got your fighting spirit. She don't take no shit from nobody. Hahaha. They still both love you. You are still the owner of a large part of their hearts.
As far as me man, well you know how I do. I always fall on my feet. I know you were worried about me for awhile but I've cleaned up my act. Get this, I'm at the gym all the time, have lost a few pounds, and I even stopped drinking. Don't worry, I'm still the same Jose you knew. I just needed to get my poop together and focus on the living and on Belgica and the boys. I think you may have pulled a few favors up there to help me out. I really appreciate it man.
Anyway brother, I'm going to head out. I can't deal with this DC traffic and I've got to make my way out of town. I get why you wanted to be laid to rest here. Unlike the rest of this town, this place sure is peaceful. Plus, you've got some pretty awesome neighbors. I bet you keep them laughing cracking jokes all the time. They're lucky to have you around. I'm leaving you a bottle of that nasty beer you liked. I don't know how you could stomach that crap but here you go.
It's a pretty day today. I'm feeling the sun on my face for both of us, living for both of us like you asked brother. I know you said not to cry for you but I'll be honest, I still shed a tear every once in awhile. But these days they're mostly happy tears. I've chosen to remember the life you lived and the man you were, rather than the instant you died. I'll tell the fam you said hi. I miss you bro. Happy Memorial Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have PBD

The Hereafter

Facebook Dump- The Day After