Is What You Do Who You Are?

I met a man this week who asked me a simple question. Upon our introduction, he asked me what I did. Of course I knew his question referred to what my career was. I find it interesting that in Western culture, when we meet someone, our first question is very regularly "and what do you do?" In this part of the world, we are defined by how we make a living. In many respects it dictates our social circles, our activities, sometimes even our actual identity.
Of course some jobs are in many ways lifestyles. For example, a doctor is a doctor 24 hours a day. If he's in a restaurant and someone is choking to death, he surely can't (or at least shouldn't) say "well I'm off duty so it isn't my problem." More than likely, the doctor would jump out of his chair and try to save the person. Similarly, other professions don't stop when you clock out for the day. But I think in the western world we tend to use our professions as an excuse to not develop ourselves in other ways.
I've got friends who work for the government but dream of hiking the Appalachian Trail. I've got friends who work in the Defense industry who want to open their own business. I know friends who work in law but dream of being healers in third world countries.
I am an expert in "life gets in the way." I'd like to tell you I'm an expert and a perfect example of "following your dreams" but the frank truth is I have learned to live the life that "life" throws at me. I'm a survivor. I make do with what I've got at that moment. Luckily I have made a career out of soldiering; a job I love.
For the future though, what I really hope for is to become better at purposely living life. I bet all things considered, many of you would also want to live a purpose-driven life. These days this topic is more and more important to me because I am at a point in my career where I can stay or I can retire from the Army. I'm not sure what road I'm going to take but I can tell you, the last few years I have begun more seriously considering what things bring me joy; what things I would truly "love" to do. Not necessarily as a career but to bring me happiness. I've found a passion for fitness and I've found a passion for sharing my positive-thinking lifestyle. I've also rekindled my love for storytelling (for those who don't know I began my career as a military radio and TV broadcaster) and I especially love sharing what I know with others.
Maybe the best way to figure out what you want to "do" with your life is to figure out what makes you happy and find a way to incorporate that into a complementary career. I can't tell you I have any clue what that is for me yet but I can tell you this, whatever I do for a living in the future it will have to allow me the opportunity to nurture my passions.
It's funny because this isn't a new idea. Every one of us hears these simple pieces of advice as teenagers. How many people told you to "do something you love" or "follow your heart" as you were growing up? I suspect many of us heard it. But life has a way of smacking you in the face and forcing you live by it's rules. I say it's time to smack life back.
If you have goals and aspirations, passions and desires, maybe this is the time to start working towards those goals. If your dreams require specialized education or training, there is no better time than the present to start taking little steps in that direction. You don't even need to know exactly where you'll end up, just start moving closer. I implore you to take back control of your life from the circumstances of everyday living. We've got one shot at this life of ours, might as well live it doing something which brings us joy. I hope the legacy I leave my children is of a man who loved his family and friends deeply, and was courageous enough to live life on his terms. That might just be the best definition of "success" I've ever thought of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have PBD

The Hereafter

Facebook Dump- The Day After