Inspired Thought

As we once again prepare for a new workweek I felt compelled to send you a few thoughts on what I call Inspired Thought.
You are reading the words of the man who invented satellite radio. Yes, thank you thank you, please hold the applause. I also invented car dvd players, named the "New Kids on the Block" group of the early 90s, and most proudly, invented the Snuggie blanket.
By all accounts I should be sitting pretty on my own private island in the Bahamas counting hundred dollar bills as my hobby while I sit under a beach umbrella and sip thousand dollar a bottle champagne. Instead, I'm headed into the office tomorrow to my job, no not my company, just my regular ole job. Why? Did I lose it all in Vegas betting on black? Nope, I didn't listen to my "Inspired Thought". Oh I heard it, I just didn't "listen" to it.
I've always been the creative type, and so for most of my life I have known that feeling you get when you come up with a great "idea". I mean a REALLY great idea. I call that Inspired Thought.  I'd like to take credit for that one, but it was the brainchild of the folks on "The Secret" dvd. Having said that, the term stuck.
Inspired Thought is when you get ideas that seem to be placed there by something bigger than yourself. Call it God, the Universe, however you define it. I always think of it as when a songwriter works on a song for weeks and weeks and can't get it together and one day on the way home, sees something that immediately sparks his creativity and the words can't come out of his or her head and onto the paper fast enough.
Talk about Inspired Thought, think about Abraham Lincoln who wrote the Gettysburg Address on the back of a napkin on the train ride to his speaking engagement. One of the greatest speeches of all time was written on the back of a napkin. These days politicians employ armies of PhD speechwriters to write their every public word and I submit all of their intellect combined can't and won't ever compare to a moment of Inspired Thought a junior Senator from Illinois turned President of the United States had that fateful afternoon.
Friends we've all had it, that moment of a great idea that comes and goes and we do nothing. In my opinion, and yes I know you might think I'm stretching it, but I honestly believe these moments come from a special place within us tapped by something we yet don't fully understand. Unfortunately most of us filter it out and continue with our hum-drum lives wondering why nothing ever changes even as we go on doing the same thing over and over again while expecting something different to come of it.
Sadly, for must of us, whether in our head and heart or elsewhere, that Inspired Thought will find a place to grow roots. Someone out there WILL listen to it, and more importantly, believe in and act upon it. They will be the ones who gain the credit for the satellite radios of this world, while the rest of us sit there saying "MAN I thought of that!!!!" (I did! I swear).
Thinking, much like dreaming, mean nothing to the world we live in unless they are followed by action. So here's my recommendation; next time you get yourself an "Inspired Thought", write it down, think about it, and if its something you feel will be of benefit, act upon it. Whether just a better way to accomplish a task at the office, a chore at home, or building a better Snuggie, you can't go wrong when it comes to your Inspired Thought. As always, I believe in you, you just have to believe in yourself.

Comments

  1. As posted on Facebook:

    Loved this post - , very sleepy though, but here goes: Yes, I was the one who invented the Swivel Scrub Brush with a long handle to clean out your bathtub and hard to reach places decades ago - but then aliens from outer space stole from my head & sold it to SC Johnson Wax. Grrrrr.... You're right. Little angels still bring the ideas to you, we just have to be quiet enough to LISTEN to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, it's happened to me too.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had many moments when I had an inspired thought and ignored it only to see my great idea on television being sold for $19.99 plus shipping and handling.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Have PBD

The Hereafter

Facebook Dump- The Day After