In The Moment

As you may know, I am a proud 20-year veteran of the U.S. Army. Last night as I was about to sign out of Facebook a young soldier in my field of specialty sent me a note. We got to talking and I could tell he really wanted to ask me something so I said "so what's up? You seem like you have something going on." He asked "what's the secret to your success?" Before I go on, I'd like to say I in no way consider myself any more successful than the next guy. Having said that, to this young man, I had somehow garnered that honor. So I sat there for a moment and thought about it. Its not the kind of question I expect on a Saturday night out of the blue. I thought of a few witty things I had heard inspiring people say but felt if he had the courage to ask, I should have the courage to give him a real answer; one that came from me. So as I thought of what to answer, I stumbled upon three words which seem to sum up whatever successes I feel I've had. I told him to live "in the moment!" I know what you're thinking, "that's it? That's the best you could come up with?" The truth is yes.
Think about it, when you hear older folks speak about their life memories, what do they remember? They remember their youth; playing with their brothers and sisters and friends. They remember Saturday night dances in high school and the first time they fell in love. They remember the first really crappy car they owned and how to them it might as well have been the most expensive, exotic car in the world because it represented freedom. You know what else most of them remember? They remember the moment they looked into their bride's or groom's eyes and said "I Do" or the birth of their first child and those early years when their kids were babies and toddlers. What they don't recall with much fervor are those years after. You know the ones I'm talking about and if you're anywhere close to my age, the big 4-0, then you definitely know about those. The years of "doing"; just getting by. The years when the kids are growing up and we're so busy driving them from soccer practice to piano class to tutoring session to pick another afternoon activity, to really have a conversation with them. The years when you're working but you're not really "there". You know what I'm talking about; you rush to the office to be there on time, then find your way to your cubicle and sit there surfing the net for hours looking for vacation deals and other jobs and anything to make yourself "look" busy. The years when you're married but its more of a partnership than a loving relationship. Those years when you both meet for strategy meetings in the morning and at night to divvy up the "to-do's" for the day or the next day but can't find the time to "schedule" some intimacy.
"What's your point Jose?" I hear you asking. "We all live like this." You are right, most of us do, which is why in my humble opinion, those who live extraordinary lives live them differently than the rest of us. I believe the difference is, they live "in the moment". Think about how wonderful and alive you felt when your kids were young, when you first started that job and envisioned someday running the place, when you bought your wife flowers on a Tuesday just because it was Tuesday. When you both sat down to a nice Rammen dinner because it was all you could afford. You felt alive, you had a purpose, you lived in the moment, and the reality is you were far more productive and probably happy.
So of all the deep things I could have recommended to that young man, I recommended he live in the moment. There's nothing wrong with planning for the future or reminiscing about the past, just as long as it doesn't interrupt your living in the moment. For as long as you're living in the moment you are LIVING. In my opinion, that is what success is all about. The future tends to work out well for those who live in the moment. Promotions come faster, the money rolls in, love finds us, and the fulfillment we all yearn for fills us when we are busy living versus existing.
As we prepare for another work-week tonight, I wish for you a week of living in the moment; living for the here and now. It is all we truly have guaranteed. You may not reach tomorrow and yesterday is a memory, but right now, this moment, this is what you have. The greatest among us in any measure of success are usually those who live in the moment; luckily for us living that way is not just a luxury available only to them.
I share the words I heard a few years back by Dr. Randy Pausch who gave a commencement speech to the graduates of Carnegie Mellon University. It was an academic tradition called "The Last Lecture" given to the graduating class and the idea was, what would the speaker say if this was his last speech before he died. Dr. Pausch gave it because he was indeed dying and ultimately lost his battle with Pancreatic Cancer. But his speech made a lasting impact on thousands if not millions around the world, me being one of them.
In his speech, amongst other things he said...."Work like you own the place, Love like you'll never get hurt, Dance like no one is watching and let tomorrow take care of itself." As for me, I will be singing like no one is listening tomorrow morning on my way to work. I wish you the same.

Comments

  1. Bravo - and I'll make it my motto to be "in the moment."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me. Thanks for the wisdom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Have PBD

The Hereafter

Facebook Dump- The Day After