Preparing For The Unexpected

A few days ago, a photographer and filmmaker named Tim Hetherington died in an RPG attack in Libya. I don't know how well he is recognized in "Hometown, USA" far from the military since this is the world I live in, but I do know he was revered by many troops for his gritty, award-winning documentary Restrepo, about the Soldiers on a small post in largely Taliban-held country in Afghanistan. Troops identified with his storytelling because of the realism and emotion he portrayed. Tim died doing what he loved, being in the middle of the action, in incredibly dangerous situations, helping to tell stories one human-being at a time.
I was intrigued by the outpouring of shock and sadness portrayed by my military friends on Facebook and it really hit home how most of us will truly not know the moment of our passing.
I think for certain celebrities or the more famous in our society the effect is magnified. Just think back to the day Michael Jackson died, or for those of you old enough to remember, when Princess Diana passed away. Iconic people plucked seemingly from the prime of their lives.
It got me to thinking about the relationships I have and the thought that there truly is no way of knowing when tragedy will strike close to home. It also got me to thinking about how many things I always intend to say, intend to do, but push off till this weekend, next weekend, next month. The phonecalls that never get made, the cards that never get sent, the I love you's which go unsaid.
My father died many years ago when I was a boy. My parents were divorced since I was a toddler and my mother was the only true parent I ever knew, but my dad was around. He hovered, showed up here and there, tried to make up for his absence by bringing me toys or taking me out to eat, but all I ever really wanted was to have him as my father.
I was really angry with him most of the time and hated when he came around. I didn't say much to him. In return, I don't think he knew what to say either. As an adult I think back to those instances where we went out to eat or do something and there was always a longing in his eyes, something on the tip of his tongue, but it never came out. Maybe it was an "I love you son", maybe even an "I'm proud of you", but those are two phrases I never heard him say. Ever.
So what am I saying? I guess what I'm saying my friends is in my opinion, the best way to prepare for the unexpected and inevitable tragedies which will happen in our lives is to do today, say today, share today, and not tomorrow. Tell those you love that you love them. Thank those who deserve your thanks. Settle stupid old squabbles which do nothing but drive wedges in your heart. There is no time like today and no better time today than right now.
We all have things we want to say to others and we all expect we will have the time to do so. Except in some cases we will not. Don't wait until the unexpected happens to then be upset you didn't say or do all the things you intended. You have right now, and right now is all you need to prepare for the unexpected. As always my friends, I believe in you, you just have to believe in yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have PBD

The Hereafter

Facebook Dump- The Day After